Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Writing Prompts


To get those creative juices flowing here are a few writing prompts
Let yourself be free. Try not to stop yourself. Even for 10 minutes while you are waiting for something else like the laundry or water to boil perhaps. I find it difficult when going on a stream of consciousness, not to stop and say "What is this bologna"? Especially if I have other things I feel I should be doing and even more so if that word is not bologna. But at the end of the day, I treat this as a favor to myself. The "this is something you must do" motivation kicks in, because at the end of the day this is my life. This is what I enjoy.
Also first drafts are never supposed to be "perfect". Only an interesting start.

1. Imagine you are creating a character completely different from you and who is sitting on the subway. Think of the physical qualities of such a person. How does he/she carry himself/herself? What is she/he wearing? Work on this for a few sentences. Then pick a bad habit that this character has. Is this person a fiendish nail biter? How does this bad habit carry into where the character is going from the subway stop.

2. Respond to this : Staring at the elephant in the room.

3. Picture prompt: What do you think of when you see the picture attached?

No comments:

Post a Comment