Saturday, November 13, 2010

how not to read

I am a reader. Let me just preface the title of the post with that. I love to read, was an English major and go to the library often. 
But when I was younger before I knew how to read, even after I had learned and started to explore big letter books on my own, I loved to be read to. Read to in a circle among my classmates on a checkered rug,  read to before bed by my parent's in various story voices, and read to by animated characters from PBS. Now I seek the books on tape or rather books on cd to carry me from place to place. I find the books I choose to listen to in the car are often the ones that I can read from the page but do better for the drive. 
Just because you know how to do something does not mean that you must always be the one to do it. Whatever that may be- driving, reading, cleaning, cooking, dancing. learning something once also means you can listen to how it changes itself and changes you- to let someone or something else show you how again.  At the end of the day, even if you are a reader, it is nice to be read to and nice to know you still enjoy it.  

here is a link so that you can get read to http://www.storylineonline.net/
in particular the Betty White reading is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment