Monday, September 13, 2010

Be patient

For my birthday this past summer, my grandparents gave me a card that held these words and instructions. It was an interesting idea that when I thought about it, should go without saying. To wait until it was my birthday to open my birthday gift. But in truth, I've learned something about my generation and myself. We are eager to get our hands on the future. This is not necessarily a a negative. it only means that sometimes the "now" loses its immediacy. To live for the now not only means to dive in but to be. To be present and accept the day.  On Rosh Hashanah, I said that I look forward to the renewal, but what also comes with this renewal is the belief that not only will tomorrow things look better but also the rest of today.  The best gift you can give yourself is time. Time to see the rest of the day through. I myself often need to vent a difficult situation but as soon as I do, the day comes easier.
I waited til my birthday to open this card and it was well worth the wait not only because it was my birthday but also because the gift had come just in time. Like any adventure, things arrive just on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment